Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Dodge pinion factor

1449 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: 2021-01-25 20:26:03

•   Level 1   
    (5) points

2020-01-23 00:32:55
    I just replaced the pcm on a 02 ram. Now the abs light is flashing with code 83. I'm trying to set the pinion factor with my maxisys elite. I found the function in the abs module to set pinion factor but it does not work. Is it possible to reset pinion factor with the maxisys elite?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2020-01-25 05:41:02 (Reply to:)

Did you just slap another  used PCM in the 02 Ram without going through the MaxiSys and selecting  replace PCM? If MaxiSys can communicate with old PCM , you start the procedure with the old PCM connected , follow instructions, then after it pulls certain information out of the original PCM , you will be prompted to turn key off and install the replacement PCM It will write certain needed fields of information it pulled off the original onto the replacement PCM

•   Level 1   
    (3) points
    heroe1013

2020-12-20 00:52:29

i can also confirm that the function in the abs module to set pinion factor but it does not work.i have done a lot and i always have to use my snap-on modis ultra to perform pinion factor...autel needs to fix this 

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2021-01-25 20:26:03 (Reply to:heroe1013)

If I had to venture a guess , not so long ago ago in older software versions the function may have worked but over time due to OE court challenges if Autel can't find a suitable work around to get the contested special functions work in a different way for the OE software to work they have to pay licensing fees to use it or remove it. Since the OE manufacturers now have manufacturing done in China, they now can go after folk that copy the unauthorized use of Proprietary software in China without paying to license the use of it and pressure the Chinese courts to either have companies copying pay to license the right to use copyrighted software or desist from offering it. I think that is why the software is constantly being Optimized.I don't believe this so called software Optimizations are really making the software work better on our ends, it's just legal Mumbo jumbo for tweeks , minor changes, and shuffling stuff on their end to buy extra time , before certain special functions  no longer functions after a five or six years old , they'll then tell you  buy an update because they constantly are fixing bugs and eventually the car is too old of a model to justify engineers time to fix the function anymore because too much of their precious resources are spread thin introducing the latest and greatest hardware and new capabilities, and the basic software functionality on older cars takes a back burner.  I might be wrong but maybe it makes more sense now to just upgrade the platform every couple years than update the software. Turn off the WIFI and keep the old DS708s, the MS905 Minis, and original MS908P as is for the software functionality of the car models that were only a year or two old at the time the your free update periods expired, because the older the cars get, the more changes Autel is forced to do to the car software it first offered when the cars were new that new car manufacturers go after Autel for that they are either forced to either find a work around way to make things work or disable it through Software optimization and chalk it up to random software bugs they'll fix  future updates if you send in a datalog.
  Total1 Pages